Mark J. Hilliard
Primary Areas of Legal Practice
Product Liability and Civil Defense Litigation
Mr. Hilliard’s legal career has primarily focused on civil litigation. Mark has experience handling high-stakes cases involving complex product and premises liability, toxic tort and asbestos cases, mass transit tort litigation, commercial and business matters, construction and energy litigation, and health care litigation. His clients have included railway companies, hospitals, businesses, and suppliers and manufacturers of allegedly defective consumer products, including: vehicles and vehicle components; tires; sporting goods; medical products; and asbestos-containing products (automotive, friction, construction, naval, and industrial machinery).
Through hard work, precise and detailed case management, and the implementation of result-oriented yet cost-effective defense strategy, Mark has consistently achieved favorable results for his clients, including Fortune 500 companies and small businesses alike. Since joining LMCO in 2015, Mark has assisted LMCO’s trial team in attaining two defense verdicts for a major automobile manufacturer. Mark has been selected as a Super Lawyers ‘Rising Star’ in civil litigation since 2013. He was also awarded the highest peer rating of ‘AV-Preeminent’ from Martindale.
Past and Present Representative Clients
- Kelly-Moore Paint Company, Sherwin-Williams, ArvinMeritor, Inc., Maremont Corporation, John Crane Inc., Subaru of America, Easton Bell Sports, Ferrari North America, Michelin North America, Toyo Tires, Ford Motor Company, Navistar, Inc., Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc., Volvo Group, and Mack Trucks, Inc.
- University of Dayton School of Law (J.D., 2006)
- Saint Louis University (B.S., 2002) Marketing/English
- North Dakota
- United States District Court, Northern, Eastern and Central Districts of California
- United States District Court, Western District of Washington
Recent Trials Resulting in Successful Defense Verdicts
- Cannard v. Ford Motor Co., 2015, U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- Holley v. Ford Motor Co., 2017, Court of Common Pleas, Beaufort, South Carolina
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of California
- San Francisco Bar Association
- Department of Veterans Affairs (2012-present) – Mark has been accredited by the Office of the General Counsel to assist military veterans in handling legal claims pending before the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Bar Association of San Francisco, Volunteer Legal Services Program (2012-present) – Mark serves as a benefactor to this program, providing justice, health, and social services to the poor and underserved.
- Bar Association of San Francisco, Minority Law Student Scholarship Program (2012-present) – Mark is a benefactor to this scholarship program, established to reaffirm commitment to diversity in legal education and within the legal profession.
Articles and Publications
- The Evolution and Misinterpretation of the Establishment Clause: Is Teaching Intelligent Design in Public Schools a Governmental Endorsement of Religion Prohibited by the First Amendment? 32 Dayton L. Rev. 145 (2006)