Paul V. Lankford
Primary Areas of Legal Practice
Commercial Litigation, Products Liability, Toxic Tort and Litigation Management
Mr. Lankford has over 20 years of litigation experience. He represents both individuals and companies on both the local and national level in all phases of commercial litigation, toxic tort litigation and products liability litigation. He has provided counsel to a diverse group of industries, including aerospace, agricultural equipment, automotive, marine, petroleum, medical device, industrial and commercial construction, semiconductor manufacturing and diet product manufacturing and distribution.
He has successfully handled a wide array of product liability and toxic tort actions, including claims of fiber inhalation, chemical exposure, groundwater contamination, medical device defect, and automotive defect. Mr. Lankford has extensive trial experience. His most recent verdicts were in October 2015, in the United States District Court for the Western District of Washington, and in November 2017 in South Carolina. Both cases resulted in defense verdicts in favor of our clients.
Mr. Lankford has served as national counsel for asbestos and benzene litigation for Fortune 500 companies, including Ford Motor Company and General Motors, LLC. In these roles, he has managed and directed the defense of thousands of personal injury and wrongful death claims in numerous states. In addition, he has held positions as national advisory counsel, national trial counsel, and national expert coordinating counsel for several companies as well. Prior to forming Lankford Crawford Moreno & Ostertag LLP, Paul Lankford served as a partner and Products Liability Department Co-Chair at Thelen Reid, a 600 attorney international Am Law 100 law firm. Mr. Lankford has been recognized as a “Northern California Super Lawyer” since 2008.
Past and Present Representative Clients
Ford Motor Company, General Motors Company, Navistar, Inc., Daimler, Shell Oil Company, Bechtel Corporation, Texaco Refining & Marketing, Inc., Chrysler Corporation, Dole Foods, AXT Inc., ADNC Inc., Olympus, Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc., Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC, Pacific Mechanical Corp. and Kaiser Aluminum & Chemical Corporation.
- National counsel for Ford Motor Company for asbestos, benzene and litigation
- National counsel for General Motors Company for asbestos litigation
- National expert coordinating asbestos counsel and trial counsel for Navistar, Inc.
- Lead trial counsel for Ford Motor Company, General Motors Company, Shell Oil Company, Bechtel Corporation and several other defendants
- Represented Bechtel Corporation as part of national counsel team defending thousands of personal injury and wrongful death cases involving exposure from asbestos
- Represented Shell Oil Company as part of national counsel team defending thousands of personal injury and wrongful death cases involving exposure from asbestos
- Represented semiconductor manufacturer in personal injury action alleging severe birth defects from in utero exposures to chemicals used in the manufacturing process
- Represented product supplier in multidistrict litigation involving personal injury and wrongful death claims from consumption of diet product
- Represented leading medical device manufacturer in claim of respiratory disease from alleged defective medical device
- Represented contractor in action alleging respiratory disease from inhalation of fiberglass
- Represented equipment manufacturer in claims of career ending injuries as a result of alleged defects in industrial construction equipment
- Represented manufacturer in action alleging millions of dollars in crop damage from defective product
- Represented property owner in action alleging contaminated groundwater from leaking underground fuel tanks
- Represented manufacturer of semiconductor manufacturing equipment in personal injury action alleging exposure to chemicals from alleged defects in design of equipment
- University of San Francisco (J.D., 1995)
- University of San Francisco Maritime Law Journal Technical Editor, 1993-1994
- University of California, Riverside (B.A., 1991)
- California, 1995
- United States District Court, all California Districts
Recent Trials to Verdict
- Cannard v. Ford Motor Co., 2015, U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- Holley v. Ford Motor Co., 2017, Court of Common Pleas, Beaufort, South Carolina
Verdicts as Supervising National Counsel
- Adams v. Ford Motor Co., Los Angeles County, Ca.
- Creech v. DaimlerChrysler Corp., Seattle, Wa.
- Currie v. Ford Motor Co., Los Angeles, Ca.
- Farag v. Ford Motor Co., Los Angeles, Ca.
- Goebel v. Ford Motor Co., Los Angeles, Ca.
- Griffith v. Ford Motor Co., Seattle, Wa.
- Estate of Bobby Lee Herring, Sr. v. Ford Motor Co., Los Angeles, Ca.
- Holbrook v. General Motors Corp., Seattle, Wa.
- Lemberger v. General Motors Corp., Milwaukee, Wi.
- Morrison v. Ford Motor Co., Los Angeles, Ca.
- Pedrick v. Ford Motor Co. and DaimlerChrysler Corp., Seattle, Wa.
- Petitpas v. Ford Motor Co., Los Angeles, Ca.
- Russell v. Ford Motor Co., Los Angeles, Ca.
- Scott v. Ford Motor Co., Alameda, Ca.
- Steiner v. Ford Motor Co., et. al., Santa Barbara, Ca.
- Stoddard v. Ford Motor Co., et al., Paul, Mn.
- Villalpando v. Ford Motor Co., Alameda, Ca.