Primary Areas of Legal Practice
Products Liability, Toxic Torts
Mr. Hoefs focuses his practice on product liability litigation matters. He prepares cases for trial distilling the main issues of each case based on his experience deposing plaintiffs, investigation efforts, fact witnesses and experts. Peter has litigated a wide range of litigation matters including, intellectual property, residential real estate, and self-insured corporations.
He has been a member of numerous trial teams defending against allegations of exposure to asbestos containing friction products. He was instrumental in the development of alternative environmental exposure defense from an asbestos-cement factory that was within 1 kilometer of the injured parties which led to a defense verdict where plaintiffs sought $95 Million in damages. He has developed alternative exposure theories, exploited witness credibility issues, and detailed medical histories to resolve hundreds of cases.
Past and Present Representative Clients
Ford Motor Company, Navistar, Inc., Mack Trucks, Inc., Daimler Trucks of North America LLC, Honeywell International Inc., California Self-Insurers’ Security Fund
- Mettias v. Arby’s Restaurant Group, Inc. – Los Angeles County, California; Mesothelioma – Defense verdict.
- Walter v. J.W. Chesterton Company – Sacramento County, California; Mesothelioma – Defense verdict.
- Lamonica v. Colgate Palmolive Co. – Los Angeles County, California; Mesothelioma – Resolved during trial.
- Depree v. BASF Catalysts LLC – Alameda County, California; Mesothelioma – Resolved during trial.
- Montgomery v. BASF Catalysts LLC – Alameda County, California; Mesothelioma – Resolved during trial.
- Golden Gate University School of Law (J.D. December 2006)
- University of California, Berkeley (B.A. 1989) Political Science
- United States District Court, Northern District of California,
- United States District Court, Eastern District of California
- United States District Court, Central of California